Introduction

My name is Stephen Brannen. I'm a musician living in Colorado Springs with my beautiful wife and two adorable daughters, plus a couple of cats. By day (and sometimes night) I am a guitarist with The United States Air Force Academy Band. Music has always been my passion and occupation, but the Creator who gave me the gift is a pearl of much greater price. Nevertheless, I want you to hear my music and be blessed by it. That's part of the reason I started this blog.The other reason I'm here is to bring to fruition my hidden life-long desire to communicate through words, in this case - to write. It's my father's fault - he's a preacher. Now he's blogging. Since I didn't follow in his footsteps to the pulpit, I'll try to make up for it by following him onto blogspot. If you're reading this daddy - I love you!I will try to keep everyone posted on my musical endeavors, while bringing what I hope to be enlightening prose to this corner of the web. Thank you for joining with me.

My pictures

Monday, July 7, 2008

Where is Barack Obama's heart?

A few months ago there was a bit of controversy over a photograph of Barack Obama not placing his hand over his heart during the playing of the National Anthem at a fundraiser. I heard about this and researched it a bit on the internet, and I found it to be true and accurate. Yes, he really is right up there on the stage with his hands down in front of him while the other democratic candidates have their hands over their hearts. Of course there are also pictures out there of him in other settings with his hand properly placed over his heart and singing along with the anthem. As to his failure to do so in this photograph, one of Obama’s PR people replied “sometimes he does; sometimes he doesn’t,” and asserted that he is in no way trying to make any sort of statement by this non-action.

Here’s my take on this: Any U.S. senator not placing his hand over his heart during the playing of the National Anthem (when everyone else around him is) DOES make a statement! Whether intentional or not – a statement is made.

Maybe to some this issue is not particularly important. Perhaps a number of citizens have well-spoken philosophical reasons for not paying the traditional respects to the symbols of our nation – and they unquestionably have that right and I would never try to force them otherwise. But – they are not running for president. For an American president, such expressions of patriotism are (and should be) expected.

To me, though, this issue is not really about a lack of patriotism, but a frighteningly clueless lack of empathy and understanding for the American people. I do believe that Mr. Obama does indeed love this country very much, and I don’t yet see credible evidence to suggest he doesn’t. However, Mr. Obama is running for the office of the President of the United States of America, and in this particular country, the symbolic gesture of placing one’s hand over their heart during the anthem has been SO VERY important to SO MANY people for SO LONG that it’s truly baffling to me that the Illinois senator wouldn’t automatically do it – ALL of the time. Doesn’t he know how it makes so many Americans feel to see him there like that, the only one with his hands down? Doesn’t he consider the passions of the millions of military veterans who can scarcely hear the anthem without holding back tears? Isn’t he aware that the office for which he is campaigning is that of the Commander-in-Chief of the whole of the U.S. armed forces, who are REQUIRED to pay proper respects to the flag and the anthem at all times? Doesn’t it occur to him that putting his hand over his heart is an expected symbol of service and allegiance not only to the flag or anthem, but to the PEOPLE who hold them so dear? I can only guess that the answer to these questions is “no.” And that DOES worry me.

When I see that picture of Barack Obama with his hands folded in front of him as if he were watching a golf game, I don’t see a dissident, an anti-patriot, or an America-hater at all – I just see a man who is completely and unbelievably aloof.

5 comments:

Fred said...

I hope that all Americans take this into consideration on voting day. The commander-in-chief to be MUST show loyalty to the army that is to fight for him. It reminds me of the incident in the former Zaire, now Democratic Republic of Congo, when Desiree Laurent Kabila (the president) was killed by one of his own bodyguards. When I asked a citizen of that country why his own bodyguard would shoot him, he replied, "Because the President refused to pay him his salary." Can you believe it?

Favorite One said...

Sadly many Americans are like Obama. I am always shocked at the people who don't show the respect to the flag. Maybe we should elect a NASCAR driver - EVERYONE at the races stands, places their hand over their heart and respects the flag!

Travelin' On said...

HA, I like YOUR idea favorite one....let's just get a NASCAR driver!
Hey, if one ran, he'd probably at least win the south, right?

L A Brannen said...

I once went to sleep while on duty at the switchboard of the communications center when I was in the USAF. I had the NCOIC and one of the officers in the bldg. knocking on the door of the switchboard to make me wake up and do my job. Boy! I could have gotten into a lot of trouble over that, but thank goodness I didn't. I hate to tell you why, but I will. I lied. I looked them straight in the eye and lied. They knew better. The officer was at least a lt. colonel if not a general. I don't remember. They could have probably had me court martialed.

That was a bad thing to do. I didn't answer the switchboard when the general, or anyone else, was trying to call because I was asleep. Now, I didn't do it on purpose, so why would I get in trouble over that. It wasn't done because I hated anybody or anything like that.

When in the military, there are just some things that you do because you're supposed to. Enough said about why. I could have been court martialed for refusing to put my hand over my heart when the national anthem was played too, if I had done that. And if I would have said, "Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't", I can just imagine what a mouth full of belittling and harshness that would have followed. In the end, I would have been sorry for my actions.

Which is worse? Doing wrong unwillingly or doing wrong on purpose?

I am an American. I am a citizen of the United States of America and I am proud of it. I respect the flag, the national anthem and the president of the United States. I hope I can still say that after January 20th.

Unknown said...

The world is already upside down. Perhaps Obama is truly clueless as to what it really means to be Commander-in-Chief. Some people really have no clue. It saddens me that my generation is so ignorant. Another thing I love about homeschooling my children is the fact that we do pledge the flag every day and that we PRAY before we get started. Going back to basics is what we need.