Introduction

My name is Stephen Brannen. I'm a musician living in Colorado Springs with my beautiful wife and two adorable daughters, plus a couple of cats. By day (and sometimes night) I am a guitarist with The United States Air Force Academy Band. Music has always been my passion and occupation, but the Creator who gave me the gift is a pearl of much greater price. Nevertheless, I want you to hear my music and be blessed by it. That's part of the reason I started this blog.The other reason I'm here is to bring to fruition my hidden life-long desire to communicate through words, in this case - to write. It's my father's fault - he's a preacher. Now he's blogging. Since I didn't follow in his footsteps to the pulpit, I'll try to make up for it by following him onto blogspot. If you're reading this daddy - I love you!I will try to keep everyone posted on my musical endeavors, while bringing what I hope to be enlightening prose to this corner of the web. Thank you for joining with me.

My pictures

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A short essay

I submitted the following to our local newspaper, the Gazette, for consideration in its "That's Life" column. I don't know if they'll publish it - but maybe someone will read it here on my blog and like it.



Where Oh Where Has My Armoire Been?

by Stephen Brannen (in exactly 500 words)





I have always enjoyed history, its lessons, its stories, its subtle and undeniable effect on daily life. The past is wonderfully intriguing to me, and so, therefore, are things of antiquity.

Whenever I walk into a nice old building, for instance, I wax romantic, wishing I could live in such a wonderfully experienced place with all its secrets, silent memories, and forgotten knowledge. But my house is only about forty years old, and although I love my home, its history is not remarkably deep. So I have taken to romanticizing my furniture.

My wife and I love antique pieces. We have a few of them in our living room, and although for years I ignored their history, largely because I know of no way to research it, a few weeks ago I began thinking about what my furniture’s past might have been.

First I looked at the old armoire we’ve been using as a sort of entertainment center. All I know about it is that it was built by hand some hundred years ago by a craftsman who must have passed away long before I was born. But I wonder what was his story. What events were transpiring in his life while he was working on this piece? He poured his time, attention, skill, heart and personality into its construction a century ago, and now here it stands – right here in my living room in 2008.

I wonder who else has owned this armoire. Did someone hang his uniforms in here after returning from the Great War? Did children, long grown and passed on, play hide and seek in here? Who and where are the great-grandchildren of the young bride who carefully hung her wedding dress from the old wooden dowel?

It may not have sat in the White House or the Waldorf Astoria, but I’m sure my entertainment center has a rich and intricate history. It probably overheard the news of the Wright brothers’ first flight, the Titanic sinking, the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, the war that followed, the stock market crash, Pearl Harbor, Korea, the Kennedys, Vietnam, and certainly yesterday’s headlines.

The hardy poplar panels have been touched by the hands of people who lived in older, simpler times. Their essence has seeped into the grain along with the dark brown finish, mingling with the oil and dirt from my own hands. In this anonymous way, my family and I are connected to the residents of history.

Who knows where this elegant old closet will eventually go. Maybe it will live on after I’m gone – in the living room of some other hopeless romantic. Maybe he will wonder if an old-fashioned CD player ever sat inside it, piping old-fashioned ambient techno music through its speakers.

It’s humbling, because it makes me realize that I am, after all, just one small link in the long chain of history. But I like my place in the chain, the stories I’m making in it, and the armoire I share it with.

9 comments:

Favorite One said...

I LOVED this article! I've been reading your blog, but haven't had much time to leave comments lately. You are a very talented writer - not to mention, composer, producer, musician, cousin! I think writing must be a Brannen thing. Although I might not get as in depth in my writing - I certainly enjoy it. I wish I had more time to do it more often. Let us know if your article is posted. Who knows, maybe someone will contact you & have more history on your antique furniture. Gotta go for now. Luv you much!

Anonymous said...

Stephen, found your blog when I was reading Mike's. Deep, thouhtful and just plain good. I like your apologetics style. Keep it up. davejohnston1@blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful. I think that many of us do that at times. I love the buildings of my downtown (Morristown, TN) with the overhead sidewalks. I sit on the sidewalk bench outside the antique store and write poetry about the people who may have founded our town. It is so fun to be part of history and enjoy what our ancestors left behind. We are so blessed!

Fred said...

An interesting and thought-provoking piece. You are a good writer Steven!

Fred Alton said...

Stephen, sorry 'bout spelling your name wrong.

L A Brannen said...

We enjoyed your visit so much. I wish we were closer together. We will try to make it to CO next summer. Tell Rachel, Emma and Abigail that we love them and don't let those girls forget us. We love you all.
Mamaw and Papaw Brannen

Favorite One said...

Tell your wife and children that their "Favorite" Cousin misses them already & really enjoyed seeing them in Tennessee! Really did enjoy seeing you and hearing you play at church. I could've listened for hours. Miss you!

Travelin' On said...

So great having you guys here for visit!! Extra Shout out to Emma and Abigail!!
Welcome again, any time.
Love to you all.

toothsleuth said...

Stephen, you're such a good writer! I may have gotten all the hair, but you definitely got most of the talent! I guess it's a trade-off (LOL!!) I wish so much that I could've come to Tennessee while you guys were there. It feels like forever since we've all gotten together. We're all gonna have to plan a family get-together soon...maybe after your niece or nephew is born. Keep blogging, they're great! I don't always get to comment, but I do read them! Love you guys, Jennifer :)