Introduction

My name is Stephen Brannen. I'm a musician living in Colorado Springs with my beautiful wife and two adorable daughters, plus a couple of cats. By day (and sometimes night) I am a guitarist with The United States Air Force Academy Band. Music has always been my passion and occupation, but the Creator who gave me the gift is a pearl of much greater price. Nevertheless, I want you to hear my music and be blessed by it. That's part of the reason I started this blog.The other reason I'm here is to bring to fruition my hidden life-long desire to communicate through words, in this case - to write. It's my father's fault - he's a preacher. Now he's blogging. Since I didn't follow in his footsteps to the pulpit, I'll try to make up for it by following him onto blogspot. If you're reading this daddy - I love you!I will try to keep everyone posted on my musical endeavors, while bringing what I hope to be enlightening prose to this corner of the web. Thank you for joining with me.

My pictures

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Why are musicians so musically closed-minded?

Musicians. Sometimes I don't get them - even though I AM one.

Read Spin, Rolling Stone, or an interview with a musician in any publication and you will see that people in my profession have a very "morally relative" bent. "Anything is acceptable so long as you're not hurting anyone," they will say. "Don't impose your arbitrary moralities on others," they will demand. "It's all relative - what's truth for you may not be truth for me," they will enlighten. Without a doubt musicians are mostly post-modern in their ideologies. In other words - "Who is to say what is right or wrong?"

Okay. That comes with the territory, right? The open-mindedness, the relativism, the lassez-faire attitude toward values, the moral flip-flopping and vacillating from one belief to another depending on the mood of the day - that's just the way musicians are.

But not so when the subject is music itself. Listen to how so many liberal folk musicians become self-righteouss and indignant when someone plays the "wrong" sort of guitar - like Bob Dylan did in the sixties and was booed off the stage. Listen to hard-edged metal guys totally decimate anything that sounds pretty. Hear jazz musicians opine on how jazz music should and should not be played. To hear one of my biggest heroes, Pat Metheny, explain it - Kenny G is musically immoral and evil for playing along with Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World." Really? Who is to say what is right or wrong? Don't impose your arbitrary morality upon me. It's all relative - what may be musically right for you may not be so for me.

It amazes me how musicians will assume a posture of self-righteoussness over other art forms they deem "lesser." Seriously - if there's anything that should be left open and free of judgement - it's music (lyrics aside). There really and truly IS NO basis for any concept of right and wrong when all you're doing is creating sound purely for creative expression! Of course, lyrics are a different story - they can be judged by a moral standard - but music itself? Sounds, pitches, rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbres, textures? Those things can be deemed good or evil, right or wrong? ***By people who believe there are no real moral truths except those we invent?***

My Christian brothers and sisters and I believe there can be a spirit attached to music, which can be transferred upon the listener. Maybe secular musicians have a sense of this, too. But I doubt it. I think, for them, their music is actually an extension of themselves, an anthem of their own culture, a statement of affirmation of who they are as opposed to everyone else. When they demonize certain music, they're actually demonizing the people that music represents to them. When they say "that music is bad music," they're really saying "those people are bad people," which is a sideways way of saying "I am good." To me - that makes them the opposite of what they claim to be. It makes them closed-minded, musically speaking.

The truth is this: If you truly believe in anything at all - you instantly become sort-of closed-minded to whatever contradicts that belief. If you believe anything at all to NOT be true, you have by definition closed your mind to the possibility of it being true - and for all you logically know, it MAY BE true.

So I don't mind being accused of closed-mindedness, it just means I believe something to be true or untrue. I just wonder if my musical colleagues are self-aware enough to admit this for themselves.

That's enough ranting for today.

Blessings in Jesus Christ.

7 comments:

L A Brannen said...

I think I kinda got lost in the verbosity of it all. Really you are just a 'little' smarter than your dad and I had a little difficulty understanding all that you were saying. :( After reading it slowly and thinking as I read, I have decided that I think you are right. :) I think I need to tell Corkey about your blog. I think he would like it. My mind is tired!! lol

Fred Alton said...

Wow! Stephen, this is powerful stuff - especially coming from a professional musician. I love it that you are taking a stand like this. An old saying I've heard (might have come from your G-Pa) "If you don't take a stand for something, you will fall for anything!"

Unknown said...

Please keep writing. I believe our family has an awesome talent with words and some with music. I never really go the musical talent, just envied it greatly. I believe that some Christian musicians need to rethink their lyrics. I agree that music in itself isn't "bad" it is just music. The "bad" comes from our heart's intent. I have a blog, too, but it isn't nearly as intelligent or clear. Mine is more of a "mommy blog" with the love of Jesus splashed in liberally! I hope you do continue to comment on life and music and the Lord. Keep singing for Him & being who He made you to be. That's why we love you!

toothsleuth said...

Well, you are definitely your father's son. You both have a real knack for writing. Keep it up! I really enjoy reading your blog. If you haven't had a chance yet, visit my blog page. It's not written as eloquently as yours and Dad's, but I like how this blogging makes me feel like I'm keeping in touch with everybody! Love ya,
Jennifer :)

Favorite One said...

Well, well, well - dearest cuz, I think you're a genius! And I've been called a psychotic - so, we're really just two peas in a pod.
"There's a thin line between psychotics and geniuses. They all tread the same razor's edge."
**Okay - that was supposed to be funny!
*Seriously, I've enjoyed what I've read & really look forward to hearing more. Love from your favorite cousin, Ruthie

Favorite One said...

I LOVED the pictures!!!! Your wife & children look so beautiful - and you, why you're quite handsome! For some reason, you look a lot like my daddy! :-) Looking forward to your next blog. Your favorite cousin!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. Musically Likes